Friday, May 27, 2005

What you need to know, if you are on a need to know basis

My name is June S. and I was born, raised, and live in New York City. Actually, I live in Brooklyn now where I live with my photographer brother Evan and my one-eyed wonder dog Inez.

I even went to college in New York City where I had intended to study Art History. After three years in the department, I realized that I didn’t smoke a sufficient amount of cigarettes or use the phrase “Benjaminian” nearly enough to make it in the art world. Good thing I got interested in anthropology. In my senior year, I gobbled up every requirement needed for a degree in Biological Anthropology. Sadly, I was 1 point away from having a second degree in Art History to shove in people’s noses. But I’m still glad I switch fields.

Right after graduating, I worked at a small independent film company in the City. Our office was in the Meat Packing district of New York. Everday I would walk past loading docks with sides of beef swaying in concert with one another. And during the summer months, I would see flies greedily doing whatever it is flies do when they swarm around a juicy side of meat. Then I would walk into the office to be met with equally parasitic producers. Despite the fun that I had reading scripts and experiencing all the steps of movie-making, with every minute spent with my bosses, my soul died a little.

I currently work in a neurobiology lab, where I feed chocolate to mice. This takes approximately 7 minutes to do, after which I proceed to waste approximately a million buzillion hours doing not much of anything. Which is why I started this blog.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elise said...

it's because you don't loose enought time to cut the choclate in small pieces. I think it would take me like an half day (I am so good for loosing time!)

You should also have much more cigarette breaks, and take your time for lunch...

Then, maybe you would not have time enought to write your blog, and you would go back home very tired after a so exhausting day of work.

June, I am disapointed, I still have to teach you the art of beeing a french employee!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Elise said...

anyway, thanks a lot for the blog... I can read it during the day, when my own work gets boring!!!

(and sorry for the english of course...)

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home