Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Won't You Take Me To.....FUGLY TOWN

Frank Gehry is at it again.

Billionaire Bruce Ratner, responsible for the Metrotech Complex in Brooklyn, owns the Atlantic Railyards that lay outside my windows. There is not much of anything there right now: fences and defunct rails. And I'm all for urban development and even gentrification (though I know that's something of a dirty word), but I just don't like Gehry's design (again, blasphemy).

booklyn.slide2

The centerpiece of the plan is the new Nets Basketball Arena surrounded by 17 high rise buildings. The building on the corner of Flatbush and Atlantic (across from the Target) will unseat the Williamsburgh Clock Tower as the tallest building in Brooklyn. How will I give directions to my Manhattan friends when they come out to visit me. I usually tell them to just "walk away from the clock tower".

Anyway, it looks narsty. And it looks like every other building that Gehry has done and probably will ever do.

Enjoy this meager retrospective:

stata-gehryimage017image020image022

2 Comments:

Blogger Miguel said...

ewww. nice pictures there, they really drive home the msg. I can't find your e-mail address, I'd like to send you this:

http://banananutrament.blogspot.com/2005/07/how-to-defeat-ratner-and-nets-we-need.html

you have a nice blog btw

4:25 PM  
Blogger OzzyC said...

It looks like a meteor hit the complex, yet somehow it managed to stay standing.

I ran across your blog courtesy of the "next blog" link. I like your writing style and the eclectic mix of topics. I hope you don't mind if I link to your site.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home