Sunday, August 28, 2005

Asian Flush or Why I am ashamed to be Mongoloid

I'm just kidding about the being ashamed of being asian. I've finally accepted that sad reality.

Anyway, there is a rumor going around that suggest that taking Pecid AC before drinking will prevent that oh so embarassing "Asian Flush". The flush is caused by the low levels of aldehyde hydrogenase (ALHD), which in conjuction with alcohol hydrogenase (AHD), metabolises alcohol. Apparently, women have even lower levels of ALHD than man. Strike two: God hates me.

I've been looking for articles on Pubmed, but the best I could do was another person's blog.

Pepcid AC - An Alcoholic Asians Best Friend

5 Comments:

Blogger Jn said...

Let me know if you tried and whether it worked... Do you think it can prevent half asian people from getting drunk too fast too?

10:55 PM  
Blogger OzzyC said...

I just forwarded this to a friend of mine who has the same problem.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Elise said...

I could either give you some of my own aldehyde deshydrogenase, or drink your glasses of wine (which I think is a great idea!!!)
let me know!

you're welcome... ;o)

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know it's even worse than you make it out to be. As a fellow asian we have an overactive alcohol dehydrogenase and a slow acting aldehyde dehydrogenase which leaves the toxic metabolic hanging around.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Paulius said...

Hey, but you can get drunk for cheap...maybe that's a blessing in disguise!

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home